Calthorpe Estates is home to Edgbaston Medical Quarter, which boasts 64% of the city’s health care economy and offers a high concentration of assets – more than any other region in the country. It is at the hub of the medical and life sciences revolution taking place in the West Midlands, within the heart of the UK.
EMQ boasts over:
- 180 medical organisations
- 80 hospitals and specialist care centres
- 44 GP clinics and routine care facilities
- 23 training facilities.
It is home to 27 life sciences specialisms with active research programmes and is Europe’s largest clinical trials centre and the ‘go to’ destination for more cost effective and rapid clinical trials.
Located within walking distance of one another, many are at the cutting edge of world-class medical technology and involve leading practitioners and students from internationally renowned medical facilities including the University of Birmingham, Birmingham’s Woman’s Hospital, Birmingham Children’s Hospital, Biomedical Research Centre for Inflammatory Diseases and The Institute of Translational Medicine – all part of Birmingham Health Partners which is one of the lead centres in the 100,000 Genome project. It also boasts the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham, New Birmingham Dental Hospital & School of Dentistry, The BioHub Birmingham, The Accelerated Trials Programme as well as the Rare Diseases and Personalised Medicine Centre – which is helping to improve diagnosis, clinical management and treatment of rare diseases.
The area is home to West Midlands Academic Health Science Network, which is a catalyst and helps drive forward cooperation, collaboration and productivity between academia, industry and healthcare providers to accelerate innovation and improvement in the regions health and wealth. It has been responsible for the delivery of new innovation products and services such as Medstars, Re:cognition Health and Care Fertility.
EMQ offers an unparalleled blend of existing medical buildings and health care development opportunities, coupled with strong collaboration, research and clustering, supported by a knowledgeable and well-connected community, within a central location that is directly accessible from Europe, USA, UAE and the Far East and just 90 minutes from London by train.
For inward investment businesses wishing to relocate to the region there support available through Business Birmingham, which provides award-winning support to help businesses grow in the region, all for free.
Cutting edge places to be treated
Edgbaston Medical Quarter offers some of the best and cutting edge places to be treated in the UK providing faster access to treatments and helping to save lives.
It has excellent medical facilities that rival London, many of the clinics are located in both cities, with specialist care centres including:
• Oncology: The Institute of Translational Medicine and Birmingham Centre for Clinical Trials takes the very latest research findings and progresses enhanced treatments for patients across a range of major health issues including cancer and liver disease.
• Trauma: Centre for Defence Healthcare Engagement – the leading centre for dealing with military and civilian trauma cases, as well as delivering effective healthcare engagement, such as CitizenAID.
• Mental Health: The Centre of Excellence in Interdisciplinary Mental Health.
• Diabetes: The Centre for Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism takes a bench-to- bedside approach working closely with the Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Facility and the Queen Elizabeth Hospital.
• Fertility: Care Fertility delivers the latest treatments for fertility issues.
• Addiction and eating disorders: The Addition Detox and Rehab Centre delivers the latest treatments for all forms of addiction.
For visitors coming to the area to be treated, whether with family or friends:
• The average hotel room rate for five star hotels is over 40% cheaper than London.
• It has best-in class leisure, schools and world famous sports and recreational facilities.
• Birmingham is one of the UK’s top retail locations.
• Very strong food scene and wide choice of places to dine, including Michelin starred restaurants.
• London is less than 90 minutes away by train.
It has excellent and cutting edge medical facilities that rival London, at a lot less cost, with London only 90 minutes journey time it makes Edgbaston Medical Quarter a very attractive and easily accessible medical treatment location.
EMQ sits alongside a grow leisure and lifestyle location
Set within tree lined avenues with green open spaces within the Calthorpe Estates, the healthcare and medical facilities sit alongside a thriving leisure, lifestyle and commercial community.
The area is home to Edgbaston Village, with many character buildings and award winning places to eat, including Michelin starred Simpsons restaurant, The Edgbaston, The High Field gastro pub, Blue Piano South Asian restaurant, El Borracho de Oro Spanish tapas restaurant, in addition to The Physician Brunning & Price pub restaurant Boston Tea Party café and Laghis Deli. Furthermore, there is also a wide choice of places to stay and relax.
Within Edgbaston there are a host of arts, leisure and sports facilities to include Edgbaston Cricket Stadium, Edgbaston Priory tennis and sports club and Edgbaston Golf club.
A growing cluster
Calthorpe Estates is able to offer medical and clinical accommodation ranging from new build D1 operator focused clinics through to medical suites and individual consulting rooms.
New build sites suitable for the development of major new clinics and hospitals are available on a design and build basis, or as bespoke pre-let opportunity.
With the capacity, experience and commitment to develop a balanced community of uses that complement the healthcare community and environment, Edgbaston Medical Quarter makes a unique location.