A brief history about The Calthorpe Estate
Originally bought by London merchant Sir Richard Gough in 1717, The Calthorpe Estate has been owned by the Anstruther-Gough-Calthorpe family for almost 300 years. During his ten years in the area he rebuilt Edgbaston Hall, the church and enclosed Edgbaston Park. Sir Richard’s son, Henry Gough, succeeded to The Estate in 1727 and his second marriage saw him marry Barbara Calthorpe, to become the Gough-Calthorpes.
Despite the social changes of the Industrial Revolution and the proposal of a Birmingham to Worcester canal at the end of the 18th century, Sir Henry Gough maintained the rural scenic character of the area by prohibiting warehouses and workshops being built on The Estate.
It was in 1810 that George, 3rd Baron Calthorpe, decided to develop Edgbaston as a residential area. The trades of Birmingham brought prosperity to the city and Edgbaston established itself as a fashionable suburb for wealthy industrialists. Many elegant homes were built during the late Georgian period, particularly in Frederick Road and George Road.
In 1900 many gifts of land were given to the University of Birmingham, totaling more than 90 acres. A further 120 acres were also sold to the educational institution. In addition, much land was given to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, as well as to Calthorpe and Cannon Hill Parks and the cricket ground land was also given to the Warwickshire County Cricket Club.
In 1910, Augustus, 6th Baron Calthorpe died. His titles passed to his brother, but the Edgbaston Estate and most other property was inherited by his eldest daughter, Rachel. Originally a Gough-Calthorpe, she was married to Fitzroy Lloyd-Anstruther, who in this same year changed his name to Anstruther-Gough-Calthorpe.
In 1936 the original home of the Gough-Calthorpes, Edgbaston Hall, became Edgbaston Golf Club. The family connection is still alive today and a member of the Anstruther-Gough-Calthorpe family acts as President of the Golf Club.
Today, Sir Euan Calthorpe Bt is the main beneficiary of The Calthorpe Estate and resides in Elvetham, Hampshire. He and his family are actively involved in the running of The Elvetham Estate.